Hair extensions, famous for their versatility in styling, often generate heat on the scalp. This can be uncomfortable in hot weather, particularly for athletes who sweat frequently.
In this article, I will address the question: Can athletes comfortably wear hair extensions?
Can Athletes Wear Hair Extensions?
Yes, athletes can wear hair extensions; however, what you should consider as an athlete before getting hair extensions is the hair extension’s suitability for your hair type and the maintenance procedures.
As long as the hair extension is well attached to your natural hair, you should have no issues wearing them as an athlete.
Related Post: Exploring the Different Types of Hair Extensions
Hair Extensions To Use As Athletes
You can rock any hairstyle you want with hair extensions as an athlete. However, due to the intensity of sports, there are certain types of hair extensions you should lean towards.
The reason is so there is no worry about your hair extensions falling out while playing your respective sport. Here are some suitable options for you:
- Micro Ring Extensions: This kind of extension uses tiny copper rings which are attached your natural hair. The best part of this type of hair extension is that you can comfortably wear them over a long period of time. They can easily be readjusted when your natural hair grows out to fit the new length, which is absolutely amazing. However, if you have thin or damaged hair, I’ll advise steering clear of this type of hair extension. One more thing to note is that you cannot install micro rings extensions by yourself at home. You need to go to a professional hair stylist to do this for you. If you try to do it yourself, and you get it wrong, you stand the risk of causing severe damage to your natural hair.
- Nano Ring Extensions: These are similar to Micro ring extensions, but they use even smaller rings. The coolest part of these kinds of extensions is they do not require the use of glue or sewing. They can be attached to your hair with the Rings and do not even touch your scalp directly. This extension is also very light, which gives you a lot of comfort. Just like Micro Rings extensions, you cannot install this by yourself. It’s also not suitable for people with light or thin hair.
- Sew-In Extensions: These kinds of extensions are extensions attached to your hair using a needle and thread. You get hairpieces which typically come in bundles which would be attached to your natural hair. The hair bundle can either be natural or synthetic, long or short, straight or curly, depending on the look you intend to achieve. These types of hair extensions are suitable for all hair types. You can either get them professionally installed or learn how to do them yourself at home.
There are other options of hair extensions that are suitable for athletes, but these are the best ones. The major reason for these being the most suitable ones is due to the mode of installation. They are very formed, and you do not have to worry about them coming off during an intense session. They are also very light, which would give you great comfort.
Hair Extensions To Avoid As Athletes
Just like how there are good options for hair extensions to use as an athlete, there are also the ones you should completely avoid. I’ll be talking about the ones to avoid in this section of the articles and give you reasons why they are bad choices.
- Keratin Bond Extensions: These extensions basically involve using a Keratin-based adhesive to attach small pieces of hair extensions to your natural hair. This type of hair extension is very good and suitable for all hair types. It can be used to achieve different hairstyles and is very versatile. It uses heat and chemicals during the installation process, which can cause hair damage when it’s not properly done. If you’re not very good at doing it yourself from experience, you should go to a professional hairstylist.
- Tape Extensions: These extensions use double-sided tape to attach hair extension pieces to your natural hair. They produce a very natural-looking outcome and are very versatile when it comes to styling options. They are also suitable for every hair type.
These types of hair extensions are the least suitable for athletes. The main reason is that both Keratin Bonds and Tapes are very sensitive to moisture. As an athlete, it is normal for you to break a couple of sweats.
Imagine being in the middle of an intense game, sweating profusely, and your hair extensions start to lift or shift. That would be annoying. You already have to worry about your job; should you also worry about your hair? I’ll advise you to stay away from any extensions that need bonds, glues or tapes in order to attach them.
In conclusion, as an athlete, you can wear hair extensions; however, the only thing you should consider are the ones best suited for your hair type, and also, choose any of the installation methods that do not involve bonds, glues or tapes. This is because they can lift easily when in contact with moisture like sweat.
So, always remember that just because you are an athlete does not mean you have to give up your beauty and style. You can be an athlete and rock any style you want using hair extensions.
Image Gallery – Can Athletes Wear Hair Extensions?
Related Posts to Read:
- About Hair Extension (Link).