Everyone uses hair extensions these days, as it is the best way to add volume and length to your hair. However, if these hair extensions are not installed or maintained properly, there is a high chance that they will cause damage like hair loss or bald spots to your natural hair.
If you’ve experienced bald spots from hair extensions, you’re not alone. In this article, I’ll answer some common questions about bald spots caused by hair extensions. I’ll also discuss possible ways to increase the chances of your hair growing back from bald spots caused by hair extensions.
Will Hair Grow Back From Bald Spots?
The good news is your hair can grow back from bald spots caused by hair extensions. However, how long it’ll take to grow back depends solely on your hair type and how long your natural hair takes to grow out. If you have slow hair growth, your bald spot will grow back slowly.
If your natural hair growth is very rapid, your bald spot will most likely grow out fast. As long as your hair follicles aren’t completely damaged, you have nothing to worry about, as your hair will definitely grow back.
It is important to note that once you start experiencing bald spots from using hair extensions, you should stop for a while. Give your hair a break and ample time to recover.
Continuing to use hair extensions while already experiencing bald spots can lead to permanent damage to your hair follicles. This could make it difficult to regrow your hair naturally and may require surgery.
To prevent further damage to your hair, it’s best to avoid using extensions altogether once you notice the bald spots.
Related Post: Exploring the Different Types of Hair Extensions
How To Prevent Bald Spots Caused By Hair Extensions
There are different ways to prevent bald spots caused by hair extensions, and I’ll touch on some of them:
- Always buy hair extensions of good quality. There are lower chances of getting bald spots if you use good-quality human hair extensions. It’s better to invest in good hair generally, and this is just one of the main advantages.
- Do not wear hair extensions that are too tight. Once your hair extension is too tight, it’ll start pulling your natural hair from the root. This will cause bald spots once you take out your hair extensions. So, you should not wear hair extensions that are too tight.
- Also, avoid leaving your hair extensions in for too long
- Brush your hair gently to avoid pulling your hair from the root
- Use a soft shampoo and conditioner, i.e. a non-sulfate shampoo and conditioner, to wash your hair extensions regularly to keep it clean.
- Do not use hair extensions all year without taking breaks. Your hair needs to breathe and stay on its own sometimes.
- Make sure to always take care of your natural hair before and after using hair extensions.
- Do not DIY all the time; try to see a professional hairstylist as often as possible.
- Always do hairstyles that protect your baby’s hairs
- Try to use more of swe-ins than any type of hair extension that uses bonds or glues. Glue or bond can pull out your hair from the root if it’s not taken out carefully.
Treatments You Can Use For Bald Spots
There are some treatments you can use for your bald spots that’ll hasten the hair growth process. Here are some of the most common things you can use on your bald spots to ensure regrowth:
- Topical treatments like minoxidil and finasteride
- Oral medications such as spironolactone and dutasteride.
- You can also get a non-surgical treatment called platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy.
- Hair transplant surgery
- Essential oils like neem leaf oil and tea tree oil.
It is very important to note that you should consult a professional before taking any medication or using any treatment that is not natural. The professional will assess the damage and prescribe the best treatments according to your situation. Do not go over the counter and just buy drugs without seeking professional advice.
Hairstyles That May Cause Bald Spots
Here are some hairstyles that may lead to bald spots if done too often with hair extensions:
- Any hairstyle that pulls your hair back and tight: ponytails, buns, up-dos etc.
- Tightly braided hair
- Hair extensions or weaves
Make sure to avoid using hair extensions to do any of these hairstyles often. Doing them at large intervals is fine and safe. The reason is they cause tension in your natural hair, which can lead to it pulling out from its roots and causing bald spots.
If you have bald spots caused by hair extensions, you can grow your hair back as long as your hair follicles are not damaged. To prevent your hair follicles from getting damaged, you should take care of both your natural hair and your hair extensions. You can also practice other tips that I talked about above.
Once your hair follicles get damaged, you cannot grow out your bald spots naturally and may have to result in surgery.
Image Gallery – Will Hair Grow Back From Bald Spots Caused By Hair Extensions?
Related Posts to Read:
- Types of Hair Extensions
- What is Hair Extension?
- What Brand Of Hair Extension Does Ariana Grande Use?
- Do Football Players Wear Hair Extensions?
- Can You Use Hair Extensions On Really Short Hair?
- Can You Put Straight Hair Extensions On Curly Hair?
- Can You Dye Black Hair Extensions Red?
- Can Athletes Wear Hair Extensions?
- About Hair Extension (Link).