Hair extensions can add volume or change your hairstyle to suit your preferences. For those with naturally curly hair looking to experiment with straight styles, in this article, we will be addressing the question: Can you use straight hair extensions?
Can You Put Straight Hair Extensions On Curly Hair?
Yes, straight hair extensions can be applied to curly hair for those desiring a straight look. Extension types include tape-in, clip-in, sew-in or micro links. Some hair extensions types, like tape-in or micro-links, may require your natural hair to be blow-dried or straightened.
However, if you wish to avoid heat treatment, opt for sew-in extensions. This method involves braiding your natural hair into cornrows before the extensions are sewn in, eliminating the need for straightening.
Related Post: Exploring the Different Types of Hair Extensions
How To Install Straight Hair Extensions On Curly Hair
If you do not want to go to a professional hairstylist to get your installed, here is a step-by-step process of installing straight hair extensions on curly hair:
- Wash your hair with a suitable shampoo and conditioner for your hair type
- Dry your hair either naturally or by using a blow dryer.
- To get the best result, you should straighten out your curly hair. You can choose not to, but straightening out your natural curly hair gives you the best results. Also, it makes the installation easier as you do not have to detangle at every step.
- Depending on the type of hair extension you get, you can start prepping your hair for installation. If you have a tape-in, clip-in or micro-link hair extension, start by sectioning your hair into smaller parts. If you have a sew-in, braid your hair into a neat, straight cornrow if you got a closure or a frontal. You can also decide to have some of your hair out for styling, but this section will have to be straightened often to maintain the straight hair look.
- After that, you can start installing. If you have tape-in, clip-in or a micro link hair extension, the installation process requires you to attach the tape, clip or link at the end of the extension to your natural hair. Avoid attaching it from the root; you can attach it about half or one inch away from the main root of your hair. If you have sew-in, you get a needle and thread and attach it to your already braided hair line by line. You can get a friend to do it for you if you are very inexperienced and want to completely avoid poking yourself with a needle.
- Once you’re done attaching the hair extensions to your natural hair, you should get a hair straightener and a hot comb. Use the hair straightener to straighten out the hair and the flat iron for the closure or frontal. If you do not have a closure or frontal, then you should use the hair straightener or flat iron all the way. If you get synthetic hair extensions, you should completely skip this step as you cannot use heat on those.
- Style your straight hair extension.
- Add hair spray so it can shine.
TIP: You can watch videos on YouTube after reading this article to give visuals to the installation process. It makes it easier.
Straight Hair Extension Maintenance Tips
Here are some tips for maintaining your straight hair extensions on your curly hair:
- Straighten when necessary to keep the silk straight
- Add hair spray to give it shine
- Avoid using essential oils on your hair extensions
- Always have a hairbrush in your bag
- Wash and dry if necessary
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions
- Brush out as often as necessary to avoid tangling
- Use a hair bonnet or a silk scarf when you want to sleep
In conclusion, if you have curly hair and you want to get straight hair extensions, you can do that. You can go to a professional hairstylist to help you achieve the straight hair extension that’s best suitable for your natural hair type.
If you want to install it by yourself, you can read the instaling process in this article to have an idea of what to do. You can also watch videos on YouTube to assist you in getting a seamless install.
Image Gallery – Can You Put Straight Hair Extensions On Curly Hair?
Related Posts to Read:
- About Hair Extension (Link).