Generally, the length of your hair determines if you can use hair extensions or not. The type of extensions you can use depends on your hair length, as different extensions work better for different lengths. So don’t worry; regardless of the length of your hair, you can use hair extensions because there are different hair extensions for every length that will give you your desired look.
If you’re particular about volume and length, you don’t have to grow your natural hair out for years before you get your desired style. In fact, using hair extensions on your short hair gives you the appearance of longer hair while you wait for your natural hair to grow.
Even if you already have long hair, using hair extensions can be beneficial since they’re not only for people with short hair. Asides from the length, extensions can be worn to add volume, so you can style your hair in a variety of ways to achieve a stylish look. Hair extensions also save you the stress of having to dye your hair. This means that you can try out different hair colours without dying your natural hair.
Related Post: What Are Human Hair Extensions Made Of?
Best hair extensions for different lengths
Listed below are some kinds of hair extensions and the minimum hair length recommended:
- Tape-in Hair Extensions: Just as the name suggests, these extensions come pre-bonded and are glued to each side of your hair with a heated tool that heats up the glue. You can use tape-in hair extensions with a hair length of 7 cm (3 inches).
- Clip-in Hair Extensions: This is seemingly the most popular and favourite choice of many users due to its ease of attaching and detaching. You do not have to go to a salon to attach your clip-in extensions, as it can be done simply from home. These kinds of hair extensions can be used on a hair length of 7 – 10 cm (3 – 4 inches).
- Sew-in hair extensions: These are attached to the hair by means of ‘‘sewing’’. This process involves weaving your natural hair into a cornrow style first, then sewing the extensions onto the braided hair with a needle and thread. As a more technical process, you will have to visit a professional hairdresser to install it. Sew-in extensions can be used on hair that is at least 4 to 6 inches long.
- Fusion extensions: Majorly known as pre-bonded or bonding, these extensions are attached to your natural hair using different adhesives like glue. These extensions are good for thick hair and are suitable for hair with a length of 6 inches.
- Wigs: These are forms of hair extensions that are worn topically and cover the entire head. They come in different forms, like with full closure or lace frontal, and you get to choose one depending on your preferred style. Wigs act as a replacement for your natural hair and can be used for various reasons, such as hair loss, balding, or even just to switch up your look. Since wigs completely cover your head, they can be worn on any hair length.
Ultimately, the length of your hair determines the type of hair extensions that you can use. By choosing the best-suited hair extension for your hair length, you can achieve the desired volume, length, and style that you want without having to wait for your natural hair to grow.
Asides your hair length, there are some other important factors to consider when choosing hair extensions:
- Hair Type: The texture of your hair should be considered when buying hair extensions to prevent damage to your hair. For instance, if you have thin hair, clip-in or tape-in extensions are an ideal choice, as they do not put a lot of strain on your natural hair. However, if your hair is thick, sew-in extensions are a good choice.
- Cost: As expected, the better the quality of hair extensions, the higher the cost. Although there are hair extensions available that can fit every budget, buying good hair extensions is considered to be a worthwhile investment as they are more durable and easy to maintain. By investing in high-quality hair extensions, you save money on frequent replacements and maintenance costs while getting great value for your purchase.
- Maintenance: To keep your hair extensions shiny and make them last longer, proper maintenance is important. Regular maintenance by washing, conditioning and treatment will prevent your extensions from tangling, matting, or breakage.
- Installation technique: It is important that you consider the installation method that works best for your lifestyle. If you want quick, easy, semi-permanent and DIY extensions, then clip-ins are a good choice. But if you prefer a more permanent extension, you should consider sew-in or tape-in extensions.
- Comfort: While hair extensions add volume and length to your hair, be sure to choose lightweight extensions to prevent discomfort and damage to your natural hair.
In conclusion, hair extensions offer many benefits, especially versatility and convenience. And the best part is that a variety of hair extensions can be used for different hair lengths to achieve your desired look. All you have to do is choose the best-suited hair extension for your hair length and style as you like.
Image Gallery – What Length Does Your Hair Need To Be For Extensions?
Related Posts to Read:
- About Hair Extension (Link).